For local snowboarders and skiers, it’s that time of year.
Heavy snow hit the Cascade Mountains on Thursday—throughout the day, Snoqualmie Pass got 14 inches of snow and Paradise at Mt. Rainier got 18 inches; Stevens Pass and Mount Baker were hit with 21 inches, according to KOMO News.
A mixture of snow and rain is expected throughout the weekend. Read more on WSDOT.
As of Friday evening, chains are required on all vehicles except all-wheel drive and oversized vehicles prohibited on the Snoqualmie Pass Summit. There is also compact snow on the roadway.
It’s snowing in Snoqualmie, making poor visibility with blowing winds.
Crystal to Greenwater (SR 410)
Snow and ice on the roadway, with increasing snow showers. Traction tires are advised, oversized vehicles are prohibited in both the east- and west-bound lanes.
The roads are bare and wet with snow and ice in places, with continual snow showers. Traction tires are advised and oversized vehicles prohibited in both east- and west-bound lanes.
Compact snow and ice on the roadway, with overcast skies. Traction tires are advised and oversized vehicles prohibited.
What Ski Resorts Are Open?
The White Pass Ski Resort opened today. Crystal Mountain, Stevens and Mt. Baker are open but waiting for fresh snow. Summit West at Snoqualmie is expected to open this weekend.
Local Forecast for Gig Harbor, from the Northwest Weather Service:
- Friday night: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Southwest wind 8 to 17 mph.
- Saturday: A 40 percent chance of showers before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. East wind 3 to 6 mph.
- Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. North northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Sunday: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Light and variable wind becoming south southeast around 5 mph in the morning.
- Sunday Night: A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.