recognized a student at with a Good Samaritan Award on Tuesday.
During the school's year-end assembly, Fire Chief John Burgess praised third-grader Joshua Jensen, 10, for helping his mother in a fire emergency over the Memorial Day weekend.
Kelly Jensen said she had lit a candle inside a glass hurricane vase when nearby foam apple decorations caught on fire.
"Before you know it, we had a huge fire in the kitchen," she said "I'm screaming bloody murder and trying to put it out with teacups of water."
Kelly Jensen said her son immediately grabbed the fire extinguisher and handed to her. He then grabbed his baby brother and dashed across the street to his neighbors, who called 911.
"(Josh) is our hero because our house was saved because of him," Kelly Jensen told the students at the assembly.
She also credited the fire department's Prevention Specialist Nanette Tatom for educating the students. Every year, Tatom visits the local schools to explain fire safety and other emergency procedures.
"The whole time he was calm, collective and knew exactly what to do, and that's only because of Ms. Nanette," Kelly Jensen said.
In the meantime, she said she no longer has candles around the house.