Total calls during this period: 128
On Aug. 1, a 16-year-old male suffered an ankle fracture at the when he fell after “riding a rail”. The teen, who was wearing a helmet, didn't have any other injuries. A splint was placed on his ankle, and he was transported to a local hospital for continued treatment.
On Aug. 5, a truck vs. telephone pole was reported near Crescent Valley and 149th Street. Upon arrival, the driver was not at the scene, and the vehicle’s doors were locked. The truck was stuck on top of a large wood post. Crews also found evidence that the driver had tried to leave the scene as the tires were buried in the dirt along with a makeshift tow strap connected to the front bumper. The scene was released to Pierce County Sheriff’s Office to arrange for a tow.
On Aug. 5, a 63-year-old man became disoriented after trimming bushes on a hillside. He called 911 for assistance coming back up the steep slope due to weakness and inability to climb back. After an evaluation at the scene, he was in good health and did not need to be transported to the hospital.
On Aug. 6, flames were visible from an inside wall of a one-story home. Upon arrival, smoke and fire was seen from the outside structure as well. Damage was limited to a 5-by-4 wall area and the cause appeared to be electrical wiring according to the Pierce County Fire Marshal.
On Aug. 7, a 57-year-old woman struck a large cedar tree on Hwy 302 and Goodrich Drive. The front of the vehicle sustained extensive intrusion damage from the tree, and crews had to use an extrication tool to force open door. The driver was taken to the hospital with shoulder pain for further treatment.
On Aug. 8, crews responded to a report of heavy smoke in the neighborhood on 32nd Street NW. Upon arrival, they discovered the homeowner burning grease from his barbecue on his back deck. No fire had extended to the home.
On Aug. 9, a 50-year-old Fox Island woman was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to a hospital after her cat bumped over a candle that started a fire to her armoire. The homeowner used a fire extinguisher, blanket and bucket of water to put out the fire.