Total Calls this period: 82
Fire/Hazardous Conditions: 6
Service/Good Intent/False: 9
On May 20, paramedics responded to an 89-year-old female who had fallen while working in the yard. She tripped on the sidewalk landing on the lawn on her left side and was complaining of pain in her left hip. They splinted the area and transported her to the hospital.
On May 21, firefighters were called to a natural gas leak. Contractors were putting in a new fence and ruptured a natural gas line while digging a fence post. The crew secured the area around the gas leak and shut down power to the equipment. They then contacted the homeowner and monitored the indoors and outdoors for gas. They sheltered the family in the home with all exterior openings closed. Firefighters then stood by with a charged hose line until Puget Sound Energy arrived and repaired the leak. The family was informed of the importance of calling for an underground locate before digging. (“Know what’s below, Call 811 before you dig----It’s free and it’s the law.”)
On May 22, firefighters were dispatched to a burn patient who had been driven in to urgent care. The 47-year-old female had attempted to light a propane barbecue several times, and when it would not light she tried to light it with a match. The propane exploded in a ball of fire causing second degree burns to her face, arms and hands. Paramedics arranged for transport by Air Lift NW to a Seattle hospital and treated her on the way to the landing site.
On May 23, a homeowner contacted 911 to report a popping sound followed by water leaking from a hot water tank in the garage. The homeowner did not know how to shut off water supply. Upon arrival firefighters made entry through an open garage door and found water spraying from the top of the hot water tank. The crew was able to shut off the water supply with a supply valve behind the tank. Upon inspection it was found that the supply hose had ruptured right above the top of the tank causing water to free flow. The crew then shut off the gas supply to disable the hot water tank and recommended that the homeowner contact a service company to repair the tank and restore gas supply. The crew then used squeegees to remove water from the garage floor and used the homeowner's oscillating fan to assist with drying out the area.
On May 24, medics responded to an 87-year-old female who had fallen. The patient's family found her on the floor. When the family assisted her up into a seated position she complained of hip pain in the right side. When medics arrived, she was not in any pain. However, when they tried to evaluate the right leg and hip, it caused significant pain. They splinted the area and treated and transported her to the hospital.
On May 25, paramedics were called to Child Express for a 4-year-old male with a possible airway obstruction. The boy was taking a bath, and he had told his parents that he went under the water and as he came up he thought he swallowed a wheel from a Hot Wheels car in the tub. He seemed to be having some type of an airway or oral obstruction so his parents rushed him to the Child Express. The physician determined it was not an airway obstruction, and the X-ray showed that it was a possible esophageal obstruction. He was salivating and drooling. When given a small sip of water-he was unable to swallow it and it came right back out. The physician requested an ambulance transport to the children’s hospital. Medics transported him to the hospital without any problems or changes.