One firefighter was injured on Tuesday while responding to a residential fire on Fox Island, according to .
At 4:30 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a report of black smoke and flames coming from an approximately 1,000-square foot cabin in the 200 block of Shorewood Court.
Neighbors in the area used a garden hose from the exterior of the cabin in an attempt to help extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived. Local residents also made sure all of the doors and windows of the cabin were closed, which helped contain and slow the fire prior to the fire department’s arrival, according to the fire department.
Firefighters from the Artondale and Fox Island stations were first to arrive on scene. They quickly attacked the fire and completed a search of the building to ensure no one were inside. The fire was put out within 10 minutes of the arrival of the fire department. There were no injuries to the owners or neighbors that helped to contain the fire.
One firefighter was treated and released from for a minor injury.
The Pierce County Fire Marshal’s Office was contacted to investigate the fire. According to their report, the fire was ruled as accidental. The activation of a stove with combustibles that were too close was determined the cause of the fire.
Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One is reminding residents to make sure heating and cooking appliances have adequate clearances from combustibles prior to their use. If you would like additional information on fire safety, please contact the Prevention Division at 851-5111 or go to http://www.gigharborfire.org/