Gig Harbor Fire Blotter: Man Falls Asleep at Wheel, Hits Guardrail

The weekly Gig Harbor Fire and Medic One blotter compiles reports from Dec. 25, 2012 to Jan. 3, 2013.

Total calls during this period: 134        

EMS: 107                   

Fire/Service: 12                                                           

Other: 15

Kitchen Fire

On Dec. 25, an unattended pot on the stove caused the kitchen cabinets to catch on fire on Pioneer. The home was evacuated safely but sustained about $75,000 in damage to the structure and kitchen.

Motor Vehicle Accident

On Dec. 27, a driver failed to yield at a red light while making a left turn on Wollochet Drive and clipped an oncoming car. No injuries were sustained and neither driver was transported to the hospital.

Oil on Roadway

On Dec. 27, about a 5-block sheen of oil was reported on Jahn Avenue, where a car was recently serviced. The oil plug was not replaced in error – the driver was located and returned to the servicing garage to refill the oil and replace the plug. The spill was not hazardous enough to clean up.

Illegal Burning

On Dec. 28, firefighters responded to a report of a fire unattended outside a home at 5:08 p.m. A young man met the crew who indicated he had a small cooking fire in the outdoor pit earlier, and that it was attended when they were cooking. After firefighters confirmed the fire was out, they provided information on the burn ban in effect, the size of fire and instructed the man to use only dry firewood in the fire pit to minimize smoke when the ban is lifted.

Car Fire

On Dec. 29, an older mini-van on the shoulder of State Route 16 eastbound was on fire, according to the reporting party. Upon arrival, all occupants were out of the vehicle and a fire extinguisher was used by a passerby to put out the flames. Crews confirmed the fire was out, and the family was taken to a local restaurant to await a ride.

Chimney Fire

On Dec. 31, a homeowner on David Day Drive smelled smoke in his home and noticed a glowing between the firebox and wood stove insert.  Crews confirmed no extension of fire to the surrounding walls. The homeowner extinguished the fire and said he will have his stove and chimney area serviced.

Driver Asleep at Wheel

On Jan. 1, a driver heading westbound on State Route 16 fell asleep and struck a guardrail, rolled over then came to rest on its wheels. He was wearing a seat belt and woke up during the impact. He did not report any injuries and did not want to be transported to the hospital.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »