With more than 2,000 runners expected at the second annual Race for a Soldier Half Marathon in Gig Harbor, Gig Harbor Police said it will close Borgen Boulevard between Harbor Hill Drive and Peacock Avenue NW during the race.
Peacock Hill and Vernhardson will have a short closure while runners are on the street, lasting no longer than 30 minutes at the beginning of the race. Motorists are asked to prepare for delays and plan alternate routes.
The race begins at 8 a.m. at the Gig Harbor YMCA, 10550 Harbor Hill Dr. NW.
The course for the race is (see PDF map):
- Harbor Hill Drive to Borgen, east on Borgen.
- Right on Peacock Hill, left on Vernhardson then left again on Crescent Valley Road.
- Crescent Valley to Purdy Crescent Road (144th ), left up the hill and left again on Peacock Hill.
- Right into Canterwood at Canterwood Drive NW.
- Three miles through the Canterwood development and back out to Peacock Hill.
- South on Peacock Hill to Borgen Blvd.
- Right on Borgen Blvd, left on Harbor Hill Drive to the finish line at the Gig Harbor YMCA.
Race for a Soldier’s mission is in support of soldiers who are currently returning from service. As an increasing number of soldiers return home, many find themselves dropped back into their community only to realize the change can be severe and traumatic.