Break out the jackets and boots—rain is coming.
After an 80-day dry spell that broke Washington’s weather records, chances of rain are expected Thursday and Friday, with rain likely on Saturday and Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.
With only slight drizzles and mists in the area over in the past months, many have been anxiously awaiting a serious storm cloud. (Fun fact: the last day it really rained here was when Ichiro left the Mariners! Read more on KOMO News.)
The Washington State Patrol warns drivers to use caution when out and about this weekend—slick road conditions are more likely after a dry spell. When oils and lubricants that have been dripping from vehicles all summer long accumulate on the surface of roads and when those substances are released and spread across the roadway, it causes reduced traction.
“The most common error we see drivers make that results in a collision is driving too fast for the road conditions,” said WSP Trooper Guy Gill. “If drivers would simply reduce their speed and increase their following distance, the chances of being involved in a collision would be greatly reduced.”
Take advantage of the last few days of sunshine and prepare your vehicle for winter conditions. Check your battery, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, windshield wipers, headlights and tires.
Here's the forecast through this weekend in Gig Harbor:
- Tuesday Night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 49. South southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Wednesday: Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 60. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 60. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Friday: Showers likely, mainly before 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 57. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
- Friday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
- Saturday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 61.
- Saturday Night: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 51.
- Sunday: A chance of rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Breezy.
- Sunday Night: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 50.
Are you looking forward to the rain or dreading it's return? Tell us in the comments.