Gig Harbor firefighters responded early Wednesday morning to the report of a garage fire on 62nd Street NW. The owner called 911 after being woken up by the smoke alarms, according to Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One Prevention Specialist Nanette Tatom.
The family immediately evacuated the home and the fast response of the crews kept the fire contained to the garage, which is attached to the home.
Tatom said the garage caught fire when some oily rags, used to stain the deck, combusted in a cardboard box where they were being stored for later use. No damage was done to the home and no one was hurt. The Pierce County Fire Marshal estimated the damage to be $5,000 to the garage structure and $5,000 to the contents.
Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One is reminding residents to check their smoke alarms and make sure everyone in the home can hear them from their bedrooms. In addition, practice your fire escape plan with your family, especially if you have children at home. And always use caution with any petroleum based products, as they are highly combustible.
If you would like information on fire escape planning, smoke alarms, or fire safety, contact Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One’s Prevention Division at 253-851-5111.