Total calls during this period: 113
On July 8, an air conditioning unit at a downtown business began to vent smoke into the business when in use. When the engine arrived, the reporting party said he shut down the AC unit to stop the smoke. The crew investigated further using sensing equipment and found no fire or heat extension. The business owner will have the AC unit serviced as recommended.
On July 8, firefighters responded to a report of a transformer on fire in the area of 70th and 40th Street with arcing extension to its pole and nearby trees. Peninsula Light met them on scene and took over the investigation as no fire or arcing was apparent.
On July 9, an 81-year-old woman was exercising when she heard and felt a pop in her left hip, then fell to the ground. Upon examination and description of the symptoms, she was transported to a hospital for further treatment and care.
On July 10, burning popcorn in a microwave set off the smoke detector and fire alarm in a commercial building. The alarm was reset after an engine crew arrived to confirm no fire had extended and that the building was safe to enter.
On July 11, a 36-year-old female driver swerved onto the intersection of 40th Street and 73rd Avenue, struck a tree, rolled over and then landed on its roof. She was unrestrained and partially ejected through the driver’s window. Crews treated her for neck pain and transported to a Tacoma hospital for additional care.
On July 12, a 42-year-old female bicyclist was struck by a vehicle from behind near Ray Nash Drive and 42nd Street. She suffered several lacerations and pain in her arm and was taken to a hospital to evaluate further. She was wearing a bike helmet at the time of accident.
On July 13, a custodian cleaning the portables at Purdy Elementary School accidentally activated the smoke detectors. He was cleaning a very dusty room, and the particles caused the sensors to activate. Crews confirmed no fire existed, and returned to the station.
On July 14, the fire department received a report that a resident was burning a large tree stump for more than 24 hours. As a result, it had created unbearable smoke and irritation to the neighbors. When firefighters arrived to the home, which was located in a “no burn zone” of Gig Harbor, the occupant voluntarily put out the fire and was unaware of burning regulations within the City.