.

Kids Set Room on Fire After Playing With Lighter

Firefighters put out a fire on 40th Street NW on Wednesday afternoon. A bedroom caught on fire after the homeowner’s two granddaughters were playing with a lighter.

Information provided by Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One.

At 4:42 p.m. Gig Harbor firefighters responded to a report of a residential structure fire in the 8100 block of 40th Street NW, according to Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One Prevention Specialist Nanette Tatom.

Upon arrival they found light smoke coming from a second story window. The home owner, his daughter and his two granddaughters were home at the time.

The owner of the home discovered the fire in a bedroom that was being used as a closet and quickly tried to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher after the smoke alarms sounded. He suffered from minor smoke inhalation and was transported to the hospital for evaluation. The fire was contained to the room of origin.

The Pierce County Fire Marshal’s Office was called to the scene to investigate. It was determined to that the fire was caused by the two young girls who took a lighter and proceeded to light a toy and a plastic hanger in the bedroom.

Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One would like to remind parents and caregivers, children are naturally curious about fire and adults need to make sure matches and lighters are kept out of children’s reach.

In addition, check your smoke alarms twice a year and practice your family fire escape plan. For more information on fire prevention call 253-851-5111. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »