More than 2,000 runners are expected to participate in the second annual Race for a Soldier Half Marathon in Gig Harbor on Sunday Sept. 23. The race begins at 8 a.m. at the , 10550 Harbor Hill Dr. NW.
will close Borgen Blvd between Harbor Hill and Peacock during the event. Peacock Hill and Vernhardson will have a short closure while runners are on the street, lasting no longer than 30 minutes at the beginning of the race. Motorists are asked to prepare for delays and plan alternate routes.
The course for the race is (see PDF map):
- Harbor Hill Drive to Borgen, east on Borgen.
- Right on Peacock Hill, left on Vernhardson then left again on Crescent Valley Road.
- Crescent Valley to Purdy Crescent Road (144th ), left up the hill and left again on Peacock Hill.
- Right into Canterwood at Canterwood Drive NW.
- Three miles through the Canterwood development and back out to Peacock Hill.
- South on Peacock Hill to Borgen Blvd.
- Right on Borgen Blvd, left on Harbor Hill Drive to the finish line at the Gig Harbor YMCA.
To prepare for the race, come down to for a Spaghetti Feed from 11 a.m. until close on Saturday, Sept. 22. Spaghetti with garlic French bread and a side salad for $13.10, and a portion of the proceeds from each spaghetti dish will be donated to Race For A Soldier.
Race for a Soldier’s mission is in support of soldiers who are currently returning from service. As an increasing number of soldiers return home, many find themselves dropped back into their community only to realize the change can be severe and traumatic.
Race for a Soldier supports therapeutic opportunities such as canine service dogs, equine therapy and other alternative services to help soldiers transition back into civilian life.